Tool Digest 2021: The Best Torpedo Levels
Swanson Savage TL043M 9-Inch Savage Magnetic Torpedo Level
Why we like it:
This torpedo level tool features 4 strong neodymium magnets and comes with a durable construction which can withstand extensive use.
Swanson torpedo level comes with 4 rare earth neodymium magnets which guarantee powerful hold and reliable use of the tool. Also, the sealed top and bottom working vials are designed in such a way to never let you down and provide you with superior accuracy in any work conditions. The precision of the tool is additionally provided by great construction design that comes combined with a machine production which ensures the tool’s edges to be sharp and all the surfaces absolutely flat. Also, laser etching and anodized finish enable you to read the information with ease and get precise results that enhance your overall performance.
- The tool’s design provides you with superior accuracy.
- The information provided by this torpedo level is easy to read.
- Quality production ensures the tool’s durability.
- Some users reported that the level’s bubble was too big.
Qualified Remodeler Magazine Article-February 2015
Tape measure integrates marking functions
SWANSON TOOL’s ProScribe tape measure integrates several valuable marking functions, like the compass-like ability to measure and scribe circles and the chalk-line-accuracy to measure and mark straight lines. An oversized tip features two front-facing magnets, so the tip can connect with any metal object. Nylon-coated for durability, the doublesided blade has large, 3/8-in. markings for quick, accurate readings. The tape measure is available in 16-ft. and 25-ft. lengths. Circle 39 or visit ForResidentialPros.com/11840375
Multifunction Tape Measure From Swanson® Tool Increases Jobsite Accuracy, Versatility
New Savage® ProScribe™ Tape Measure Simplifies Marking and Scribing for Straight Edge or Radius-Cutting
FRANKFORT, Ill. (November 11, 2013) — The new ProScribe™ tape measure from Swanson® Tool features a patented innovative, retractable scribe guide and centering pin to help contractors measure and mark to cut lengths and radiuses. Marketed under the company’s professional-grade Savage® brand, the patented ProScribe integrates several valuable marking functions, including the compass-like ability to measure and scribe circles, as well as the chalk-line-accuracy to measure and mark/score straight lines.
The retractable, 1-1/2-inch rigid scribe guide allows contractors to transfer a specific measurement by sliding the guide along the edge of a board or drywall sheet, while the reinforced tip is used to mark the work piece. Users can also easily position a case knife or carpenter’s pencil against the tape’s metal tip to cut/score or mark the desired width.
Many woodworkers already perform a similar marking function using the tape housing or an index finger as they slide the tape across a wood edge. But this technique often generates inaccurate measurements and painful slivers. The ProScribe’s smooth, fence-like face allows a user to place their index finger and thumb behind the scribe guide to hold the device flush against the edge of the work surface, so that markings are consistent and accurate.
EASILY MEASURE/SCRIBE LINES, RADIUSES
Also housed in the retractable scribe guide is an exclusive centering pin that—like a carpenter’s compass—allows users to precisely scribe a circle or arc or to mark the center point of a work piece. “Many of the marking and measuring functions pros perform everyday are seamlessly integrated into the ProScribe tape, making it ideal for builders, contractors, carpenters and DIYers,” says Loren Doppelt, Director of Product Development and Marketing for Swanson Tool Company Inc., a pioneer in layout, leveling and measuring tools since 1925. “Whether you’re taking off six inches from a sheet of plywood or scoring a circular pattern in a sheet of drywall, now there is a single contractor-grade tape that does it all.”
MAGNETIZED TIP FOR INCREASED VERSATILITY
The ProScribe’s oversized tip features two front-facing magnets, allowing it to easily connect with any metal object, such as ceiling grids, studs, beams or HVAC ductwork– giving contractors’ maximum control and saving time. From the rear, the tape’s heavy-duty metal tip also helps draw forward the scribe-guide element (when unlatched) through two magnets mounted to the innovative guide. To ensure smooth movement and jobsite durability, the front of the scribe-guide—which faces the work surface—is reinforced with a metal straight edge.
EASY TO READ, DUAL-SIDED BLADE
Nylon-coated for extra durability, the double-sided blade features large, 3/8-inch markings for quick readings of both elevations and flat-surfaces—invaluable when measuring and marking a distance from an edge. The high visibility scale is graduated in 1/16-inch increments and clearly marked every 1/8-inch. From the 1-foot mark and up, the wide blade marks off feet, as well as inches. Designed to boost contractor productivity, the Savage ProScribe includes the following features:
- Retractable scribe-guide. Easily deployed with a separate latch, the 1-1/2-inch rigid scribe-guide easily slides across any edge to transfer markings for parallel lengths.
- Exclusive centering pin. Housed on the end of the scribe-guide, a centering pin cleverly allows users to precisely scribe a radius or arc or to mark the center point of a work piece.
- High-visibility, dual-sided blade. The 1-inch wide, dual-sided blade features large 3/8-inch markings for quick and accurate readings.
- Quick reference symbols. Several easy-to-read markings eliminate guesswork, help boost jobsite productivity and increase accuracy. The tape features: 16-inch and 24-inch Stud-Centers to mark stud placement more easily, as well as 19.2-inch-Framing-Centers or “black truss” markings, used to position roofing rafters and/or floor joists.
- Lever action belt hook. Forget pinched fingers or wrestling a tape back on to a tool belt. Instead of a traditional flat clip, the ProScribe uses a thumb-lever-action clip to speed access to the tape and make storage quick and easy.
- Generous standout. The dual-sided blade remains rigid even when extended up to 8-feet. An easy-to-use thumb-lock holds tape blade in place while taking measurements.
- Durable construction. The magnetic tip is steel-reinforced with three-rivets to ensure firm gripping strength as well as longevity. The high-impact-resistant case has a durable, nonslip, molded-rubber housing for added control and durability.
- Guaranteed quality. Swanson Tool guarantees all Savage products through a limited lifetime warranty.
The new Savage ProScribe tapes will be available nationwide in 16-foot and 25-foot lengths. Suggested retail prices for the new tapes range from $15.99 to $18.99, depending on length.
Swanson® Tool Introduces First Tape Measure Designed To Grip Round Surfaces
Savage® GripLine™ Tape Measure features a patented, rotating, magnetic tip that easily hooks and holds wood, plastic, metal and small pipes
FRANKFORT, Ill. (November 11, 2013) — Swanson® Tool today unveiled a new tape measure under its premium Savage® brand, that features a patent pending rotating tip that is specifically designed to hold rounded edges up to 2-inches in diameter, such as metal conduit, rebar, threaded rod, PVC and black iron pipe. With the ability to catch, hold and measure multiple types of materials, the new GripLine™ tape is ideal for plumbers, electricians, builders and carpenters, framing pros and DIY enthusiasts.
A slotted groove in the innovative, pivoting head allows the oversized 1-3/8-inch tip to slide seamlessly toward an object, thereby extending the tape’s gripping range and strength. In fact, this free-moving tip makes the GripLine the industry’s only tape measure capable of extending up to 1-inch of additional surface area and holding force toward any edge or endpoint.
With the 360-degree hooking capability, this new tip design gives contractors maximum control when drawing the tape against an object, making the tape feel more like an extension of their arm than a hand tool.
“This multi-function, magnetic and pivoting tip is what makes the GripLine tapes a truly innovative solution for builders, contractors, plumbers, electricians, carpenters and DIYers,” says Loren Doppelt, Director of Product Development and Marketing for Swanson Tool Company Inc., a pioneer in layout, leveling and measuring tools since 1925.
“Combined with an 8½-foot standout and pivoting magnetized tip design, the GripLine tape saves time spent securing conventional measures by allowing the user to grip multiple types of surfaces – such as metal conduit, rebar, threaded rod, PVC pipe – from a significant distance.”
MULTIFUNCTION, 360-DEGREE ROTATING TIP
The double-sided, high-visibility blade and pivoting tip allows contractors to catch surfaces not only from above and below the tape, but also from the side—invaluable when measuring off a wall corner while keeping the tape horizontal, so it doesn’t collapse. The GripLine tip also features two magnets, allowing it to easily connect with any metal object, such as ceiling grids, studs, beams or HVAC ductwork.
“This tape measure works so well with challenging rounded stock, it works even better with everyday construction because it simplifies any work application’s process,” says Doppelt.
Designed to boost contractor productivity, the Savage GripLine includes the following features:
- High visibility dual-sided blade. Nylon-coated for extra durability, the 1-1/16-inch wide, dual-sided blade features large 3/8-inch markings for quick readings of both elevations and flat-surface measurements. The scale is graduated in 1/16-inch increments and clearly marked every 1/8-inch. From the 1-ft. mark and up, the wide blade marks off feet, as well as inches.
- Quick reference symbols. Several easy-to-read markings eliminate guesswork, help boost jobsite productivity and increase accuracy. The tape features: 16-inch and 24-inch Stud-Centers to easily mark stud placement, as well as 19.2-inch-Framing-Centers or ‘black truss’ markings, used to position roofing rafters and/or floor joists.
- Lever action belt hook. Forget pinched fingers or wrestling a tape back on to a tool belt. Instead of a traditional flat clip, the GripLine uses a thumb-lever-action clip to speed access to the tape and make storage quick and easy.
- Generous standout. The dual-sided blade remains rigid even when extended up to 8-1/2-ft. An easy to use thumb-lock holds tape blade in place while taking measurements.
- Durable construction. The multifunction, magnetic and pivoting tip is steel-reinforced with five-rivets to ensure firm gripping strength as well as longevity. The high impact-resistance case has a durable, non-slip molded rubber housing for added control and durability.
- Guaranteed quality. Swanson Tool guarantees all Savage products through a limited lifetime warranty.
The new Savage GripLine tapes will be available nationwide in three lengths: 16-feet, 25-feet and 30-feet. Suggested retail prices for the new tapes range from $16.99 to $23.99, depending on length.
SWANSON® TOOL INTRODUCES NEW PROFESSIONAL CONSTRUCTION LEVEL SERIES
Full Line of Contractor-Grade Levels Ensures Jobsite Accuracy and Durability
FRANKFORT, Ill. (NOVEMBER 11, 2013) — Swanson® Tool, one of the world’s leading level manufacturers, today announced that it has redesigned its comprehensive family of professional level line.
Seventeen Swanson models—encompassing professional, heavy-duty, and homeowner grades and lengths from 9-inch to 78-inch—have been redesigned to ensure exacting quality and accuracy throughout. All Swanson levels now feature a durable, powder-coated body with high-visibility accents that are easy to spot on the jobsite. In addition, all levels feature easy-to-read vials.
“With the refresh and reorganization of our level line, we are now giving Swanson customers a wider range of features, while our retail partners will now have even better tools to sell our products,” says Loren Doppelt, Director of Product Development and Marketing for Swanson Tool Company Inc., a pioneer in layout, leveling and measuring tools since 1925.
“As our line continues to grow, we are focused on maintaining a simple, straightforward way of identifying our products while also improving our position on the shelf.”
FOUR LEVEL FAMILIES; IDEAL FOR BUILDERS
Doppelt notes that the new Swanson level family offers professionals a full line of jobsite-proven, feature-packed levels based on nearly 90 years of hand tool manufacturing experience.
Top Read Levels
- New for 2014 is the Swanson 36-inch Top Read Level, which features high-grade aluminum I-Beam frame construction, strong acrylic vial windows and a ruled edge for convenient measuring. In addition to the new 36-inch level (SWTRL360), other Swanson Top Read Levels are available in 24-inch (SWTRL240) and 48-inch (SWTRL480) models.
Heavy Duty Box Levels
- Swanson’s SWIBX IBOX® levels feature a heavy-duty aluminum frame, industrial-strength acrylic block vials and SuperShock® end caps. These levels feature round bumpers to protect surfaces from marring or scratching. Multi-ring vials help plumbers and industrial landscapers calculate drainage pitch. SWIBX Series levels are available in both magnetic and non-magnetic versions, in 24-inch (SWIBX240/ SWIBX24M) and 48-inch (SWIBX480/ SWIBX48M) lengths.
Heavy Duty I-Beam Levels
- The SWIBL series I-Beam levels offer heavy-duty, high-grade aluminum frames and oversized vial windows that are locked in place with machined screws, so they don’t fail upon impact. One edge of the durable frame features a deep V-groove for working with round stock, while shock-absorbing end caps protect the frame and vials from the worst impacts. Available strip magnets make these levels perfect for welders, plumbers, metal workers and steel fabricators. The SWIBL Series levels are available in both magnetic and non-magnetic versions, and in 24-inch (SWIBL240/ SWIBL24M), 48-inch (SWIBL480/ SWIBL48M), and 78-inch (SWIBL78M) lengths.
- Swanson offers a wide variety of magnetic and non-magnetic torpedo level options (SWTL900M, SWTL800M, SWTL700M, SLTL600, SWTBL500M), each designed to fit user preference for work in many different applications and an assortment of trades.
The new Swanson level family will be available nationwide in spring 2014, complete with new merchandising and promotional signage. Suggested retail prices range from $5.99 to $63.99, depending on features.
About Swanson Tool Company (www.swansontoolco.com) Swanson Tool Company, Inc. is a leading manufacturer of innovative layout, leveling and measuring tools. The Frankfort, Ill.-based company pioneered the SPEED® Square in 1925, still a mainstay of professional builders. The company continues to design carpentry, layout, leveling and measuring tools for builders, carpenters, plumbers, electricians and do-it-yourself enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, call 815-469-9453 or visit www.swansontoolco.com.
For editorial assistance, contact Joel Williams c/o O’Reilly DePalma at (815) 469-9100; e-mail: email@example.com. Hi-res versions of photography to accompany this release are available for immediate download by using this link: http://swanson.oreilly-depalma.com/2013/new-level-line.shtml.